Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Thank you, Mother Nature!!

Mother Nature has finally seen fit to bless us with a day of steady drizzle.  The ground is very wet and the grass seems to have grown 2 inches in some places!!  It's funny what rain can do that a sprinkler cannot.  I've been watering the pastures in small areas for about 4 weeks now and even those places are looking greener and healthier.  All in one day.  I finally left the sprinklers off for the first night in a long while.  The goats aren't thrilled about the rain but they sure love the new grass!  I hope the growth can keep up with the appetites!

I've got 4 boys in the weaning pen and 5 girls in the other weaning pen.  All are doing very well.  Some of the does can take a rest from being a milk bar.  There are a few who put everything they have into feeding their babies and others who seem to take it in stride.  Well, they have a few months off now.  time to build themselves back up to be ready for breeding in the late fall.

I haven't decided on my breeding schedule for the coming fall yet.  I suppose I should get thinking about it.  I know I'm going to breed more Pygmies and Pocket goats and probably less Myotonic goats.  I know I'm not going to do the 2 shifts again.  I am going to breed in November and I'm only going to breed a total of 14 does.  I just have to decide which does I'm going to breed to which bucks!

I guess that will come after some careful consideration.  I know what i'm looking for in the babies so I just have to figure out who can best do that for me. 

Well, off to bed!

Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment