Thursday, March 31, 2011

Busy Little Beavers

Wow!  We have been some busy here at the Stables the last few days, as if that was something new!  We had a few days rest after Elly had her babies but not very long!  Next thing you know Lily the Pygmy goat has had 2 little doelings during the night and then Bonnie, the Pygmy goat goes into labour.  Well, I want to keep an eye on her because her babies died last year, whether they were still born or she didn't clean them, I don't know.  This year, I did not want to take any chances.  I stayed with her through the whole thing.  (Or so I thought).  Anyway, she is having a tough time pushing the first kid out, crying in pain and looking very tired, so I clean up, put on my rubber gloves and go in to see what the problem is.  At first, I can't determine what part of the baby I am feeling.  It really feels like a knee or hock joint but if that's the case, the poor baby is really twisted up.  Finally, I can get a grip on something, still not sure what and I pull.  Out comes a still born baby.  Feeling that there is more than one I go in again and find the nose of another baby.  Sure enough, with a lot of help, out he comes. I was gentle with him only for Mom's sake as I assumed he was also going to be still born.  Not so!  Little Alexander comes out with a cry and a wriggle and a big gasp of air.  YAYY!!  I am so happy!  Bonnie is so relieved!  I get him cleaned up and then Mom takes over.  While disposing of the little dead baby I keep an eye on Bonnie and baby for a while.  She is licking him and finally he gets up to nurse.  YAYY!!


After all that I take a break a go and visit my little girl staying down at Faye's.  


After dinner, I go back down to the barn to check on everything and feed the goats and lo and behold!!  Bonnie has had another baby!!  She is weak and can't stand up to nurse.  I really don't hold out much hope for her.  She is cold and wet.   Mom is so busy with the second baby she is ignoring the third one.   So I wrap her up in a warm towel, yell for Chelsea and we head down the road to Faye's AGAIN.  Of course, my dear friend, Faye, who has a bigger heart than anyone I know, takes her in.


So Emily has a friend.  Faye has named Emily's new friend Trouble and boy does she know how to find trouble.  She gets into EVERYTHING.


Both babies are doing remarkably well under Faye's wonderful care.  I really think she will end up keeping them.  How can you save something from certain death and then give it up?  That's ok if Faye keeps them.  If it wasn't for her, they would not be here.


So, we have a good many babies in the barn waiting for the stupid snow to melt so they can go outside.  Everything is a big sloppy mess and more snow on the way, I hear.  Will this winter never end??

No comments:

Post a Comment