Sunday, November 6, 2011

Yeah, i'm still behind....

Good intentions aside, I'm just not getting the part about keeping this blog up to date.  Oh, I think about all the neat things I want to tell you about, usually when I'm down at the barn.  By the time I get back up to the house and sit down in front of my computer, I've either forgotten what I wanted to write or completely forget to write anything at all.

Anyway, since my last post at the end of September, quite a bit has happened.  All the breeders, with the exception of Pebbles and Spooky have been put in the breeding pens.  Hocus has his girl in the SE pen, Pizzazz and his girls are in the SW pen, Captain and ladies in the NW pen and the two little boys who are not big enough to put in with the big boys yet, Propero and Caesar, are in the NW pen.

Funny thing is, Captain, my highly aggressive little pipsqueak of a Nigerian Dwarf buck, is beside and in sight of Pizzazz, my very large but not aggressive Myotonic buck.  He spends more time bashing his head on the dividing fence then he does looking at or wooing his ladies.  I haven't seen him breed anybody!!  That doesn't mean he hasn't...oh and that's a lie anyway, I did see him breed Sprocket so she is back out with the herd.  The other day Captain was bashing his stupid skull on the fence for all he was worth and Pizzazz was just kind of standing there looking at him.  Pizzazz would make some noises and take a step forward like he was going to bash the crap out of the little @#!# but wouldn't actually do anything.  So  BAM BAM BAM goes Captain and then all of a sudden BUWHAMMMM!!!!  goes Pizzazz.  Damn near broke through the fence!  Guess he's had enough or Captain's constantly racket gave him a headache.  So I'm running around trying to find more wood to shore up the fence and once again I hear  BUWHAMMM!!!  CRACK!!!!  OHOH!!  So, Pizzazz hit the fence again and this time all but broke through.  OH CRAP!!!  Ok, so get the drill, get the wood, get the screws.  Run like the dickens to the pen, dropping screws and drill on the way, run back, pick up the drill and screws, drop the drill again, swear, run back to the pen, realize that I left the dril on the ground, swear again, well, you get the picture.  So, I've got the wood, the screws, the drill and a couple of very angry goats.
Step One:  Distract the goats with treats.
Step Two:  Hold up the board to be attached to the fence to reinforce it.
Step Three:  Distract the goats again.
Step Four:  Quickly grab a screw, hold up board and drill the screw into the board.
Step Five:  Take screw out and reposition board.
Step Six:  Distract goats again.

It only took my 1/2 an hour to put up one lousy board.

Oh, and today, Aura went into heat and Pizzazz was completely ignoring her.  Just snoozing in the sun, but Hocus was going bananas.  So, I put her in with Hocus and the deed was done in minutes.  Left her in there for the rest of the day just to be sure.

So then I went to the big pasture and got the goldfish out of the horses' trough and then dumped the trough and put the fish in the pond.

BJS Iris, broke off a horn a few days ago.  Not too badly, just took it down to the nub but it was bleeding and looked kind of nasty so I got Chelsea to hold her while I disinfected, applied Polysporin and bandaged.  It's tricky to bandage a horn.  most of the time the bandage ended up over one of her eyes or it just fell off.  Took some practice to get it on right.

And now the time changes.  I don't like time changes.  It's already past my bedtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment